Twas was the land of the long white cloud...

As at the time where this entry is penned, I am currently typing away in the Qantas airlines that is ferrying me to land of Down Under once again. This time to the upswing, bohemian and modern city of Sydney.

Having had just a shot of my good friend Jim Bean & his partner-in-crime the infamous Coca-Cola, my brain is in a rather temporary state of frenzy. Saying that, this entry may not even make its way to my blog (if you see it, it means I didn’t change my mind after all).

The last 35 days in New Zealand has been in my opinion, a rather interesting experience for me. I went there not knowing what to expect, having never actually spent that much time in close proximity to my cousin, Winnie and her family, and my two nieces in tow. Except for those brief moments back in KL which didn’t particularly count.

I really enjoyed learning about the history of New Zealand. In particular, the different geographical formation of both the North and South Islands. In terms of landscape and scenery, I particularly was fascinated most by Milford Sound and its waterfalls.

Having experienced touring using a prepaid everything-arranged-and-accomodations-booked Contiki Tours in South Island, and as an independent traveler on Kiwi Experience and backpacking with a total group of strangers, I reckon that I thoroughly enjoy the latter more. I met people from all walks of life, and a lot of them are traveling and backpacking, with a huge ratio coming from UK (England), America and Canada.

Asians are normally few and rare to be found on such trips, but to my surprise, I met a Japanese girl, Haruna, traveling alone amongst the group. She was on her last fling before her intended marriage that was to take place, and saying that, said she had to do this before she got married as her intended better half had no interest in going on a tour. So with or without a partner, Haruna decided to it alone against all odds.

In a couple of hours, I’ll be meeting with my old flatmate, Avadhut who will meet me at the airport when I arrive. The first few days in Sydney will be spent meeting up with old uni mates, and probably the others that I have met during my tour in Sydney (if I’m lucky to do so!).

I believe I have really developed if not, some sort of attachment with my cousin. The first week, especially during Christmas, was a period of adaptation and adjustment for me, as I am person who does not take well to changes easily. After seeking for advice from some mates, I was able to sail and then thoroughly enjoy my time and bonding with Winnie and her family.

It also enabled me to understand and experience how asian families who have settled down in a place like New Zealand live their lives. Winnie has already spent over half her life, spanning more than twenty years there. Everyone needs time to adapt to a different culture and way of living, and this was no different for Winnie as well. I’ve already spent only two years in Australia, and even I don’t half understand their lifestyle there yet! LOL.

The most important thing I have learnt and taken away from my time with Winnie is that we all have to do what we have to do. We have to fight for our choices no matter what background we come from.

Regardless of what other people may say, at the end of the day it is our choice and we have to live with it. Just make sure you do not regret with no regrets and as the famous Christian writer Joyce Meyer says, “I Dare You: Embrace Life With Passion” because you only and will only have one life.

Comments

Popular Posts