Improving my Cantonese through Korean Dramas.... ^^

So if there is one thing about watching Sung Kyun Kwan, it's that I actually improve my Cantonese thereafter.

If you were reading my blog, you'd know that I am actually attending korean language classes now, and at least 85% of the students are from Cantonese speaking background.

During class, we do compare the vocabulary in the korean dramas, and since Sung Kyun Kwan is a drama based about the 14-1500s?, the writers of the drama have utilized a lot of antiquarian words from the past, which if paired with chinese subtitles, and my limited knowledge of how to read chinese, I am actually able to identify if the words are of sino-korean origin, or if its a pure Korean word.

Sung Kyun Kwan is now up to episode 15 next week, and apparently the 은장도 - Eun Jang Do, which is a ornamental knife/dagger worn by women of higher ranking in those days will be playing the pivotal role in revealing her identity as a female to one of the other main leads in the drama.

Apparently Korean language came about the same time as Cantonese, and Hokkien which was in circulation, which was around the Tang Dynasty era. So if you had a strong command of thge Cantonese, or Hokkien dialect, it would greatly aid your pre-language background should you be interested to study Korean in future. ^^

Comments

Silverfox said…
good to hear that you're taking up language classes, and it's your fave as well :)

keep it up!
CheaYee said…
I'm actually kind of slacking...

LOL..

Somehow, I still connect with people better through cantonese regardless..

though English is still my best language.

Popular Posts