Cantonese Baptist Church.

So I visited proper a Cantonese Baptist Church in Riverwood yesterday.
There's actually about three that I was intending to visit, one in the CBD, one in Beverly Hills, and the latter.

CBD:
- Cantonese service at 9am (english interpretation available), and 5pm.
Beverly Hills:
- Mandarin and English speaking services only.
Riverwood:
- Cantonese service at 11.45am.

So I've visited the one in CBD, and the Riverwood one. Since I can't speak any Mandarin at all, I decided to forgo the one in Beverly Hills.

Now, I know in Malaysia, it may seem 'uncool' for yuppies to attend any chinese service at all.
Speaking Mandarin is also very uncool.

But, thats not really the case when you're a foreigner in a foreign land.
At least for me, after attending a certain Pentecostal service last week, the idea of worshipping in a monolingual ethnic service where one does not have to accommodate too much diversity began to sound like a really good idea to me.

So how was my visit?
The majority of the group consisted of mostly Hongkies, and *surprise surprise*, a Malaysian chap as well!
There was no English interpretation service at Riverwood, but I mostly understood the service for about 70 percent of it. That being that I don't read any chinese at all.
I thought I would have difficulty understanding/communicating, but that didn't seem to be the case. So it was a relief.
My korean- english bible, which I had brought along seemed to be a point of interest to a number of them. LOL.

Sent from my Nokia phone











Comments

Popular Posts