Eats: My Labour Day Cooking Adventure

The days are going by quickly. It's 8 weeks to go before I officially leave my work place.

So I stayed over at a friend's place on Saturday, and we had another friend who came over for dinner as well. It was Labour Day today, so it was a long 3 day weekend for Sydneysiders.

Chick Kuh Teh:
So I made this on Saturday night. As one of my mates doesnt take pork, I had to switch it to chicken.
The only oversight I had was that they bought chicken fillet rather than ones with bones. And as most people who make soup know that the flavour comes from the bones, and not the flesh to give the soup its strong mellow flavour.

Wat Tan Hor:On Sunday, I had a trial run at making a version of 'Wat Tan Hor'. I ran into some issues with stir frying the beehoon, by almost frying them to charcoal consistency. LOL.
I guess we can bypass that step and go straight into stirfrying the kwae teow. As I didnt have time to get the fresh type, I made them from reconstituted dried types, boiled in hot water over a fire.
The Gravy wasnt too bad. But next time we need some beef and chicken slices. I made some cornstarch solution for the thickener, and it worked its magic on a two and half cups of watery gravy. Or maybe three might have been better as I cooked a three serves portion.
The last I added was two beaten eggs into the gravy before pouring it onto the kwae teow.

Fried Meehoon:The last thing I made, which was for breakfast this morning was Fried meehoon, Malaysian style. I have no idea what Singapore noodles are, as I come from Malaysia, and we would obviously not call our noodles Singaporean Noodles... (as if we will!)

So my Fried meehoon I made with dried shrimp, fried garlic, and stirfried chicken in soy sauce and sesame oil. Of course, and the most important ingredient was 'kecap'.
Kecap is a thick sweet sauce, and the one I used was the ABC brand made in Indonesia.
I've seen some of the Malaysian and Indonesian kids bringing this for lunch at my workplace, so I know for sure its not Singapore Noodles as its name.

Anyways, I made some chicken stock solution to pour over the meehoon. The problem with making Fried Meehoon is that it could either be too sweet from the 'kecap' sauce, or too salty from chicken stock solution or adding too much salt.

Last I added fried eggs (beaten) and cut it into strips, mixing it into the meehoon.
So that ends my Cooking Adventure, and its back to cooking for one, and putting off some weight in time to fit a reception dress I'm intending to get in a couple of weeks time. Heh.
Sent from my Nokia phone













Comments

Popular Posts