Days 1 to 4: Indonesia

Today is the 8th day of my visit in Indonesia. I've spent the last eight days travelling through Jogyakarta, Surakarta (Solo for short), Sragen, and finally ending in Surabaya.

I am now writing through my Nokia mobile phone using the wifi connection in the FaveHotel that we are now lodged at. My room mate, Asta is happily snoring away as I type away at 2am in the morning.

The first thing one notices here is the sunrise which is up from 5.30am onwards. It is bright daylight by 6am. Sunset is equally early, being pitch dark by 6pm.

Having stayed for the first few days in the small towns, and then moving to stay for the last few days in a bigger city like Surabaya, the differences can really be seen and felt as well in the infrastructure, as well the facilities provided.

Life in Solo seems to be rather slow, but pace much more than Sragen, and perhaps Jogyakarta as well.

It takes about 1.5 hours from Jogyakarta to Solo, 30mins from Solo to Sragen, and 30mins from Sragen to Wilakukun where my host, Dicky stays.


My host, Dicky picked me up from the airport at Jogyakarta Adijucipto Airport. The trip took longer than expected as Dicky forgot his handheld and had to make a detour from the airport.

During the first few days, Remus was here with his uncle for some business affairs. On my 2nd day here we visited a waterfall in Tawangmanggu with Dicky and his family, Remus, and his uncle. This was then followed by an Outbound outdoor adventure which cost about 70 rb IDR per person.

On my 3rd day here, Remus and his uncle went home, whereas I made a trip to Candi Borobudur on my own. The trip wasn't cheap costing about USD20 for international visitors. But nonetheless it was a trip that every traveller must make when making that visit to Jogyakarta.

It was also interesting trip as on my trip back to Jogyakarta on the bus, I met two elderly Australian ladies from Melbourne who independently took the local buses on their own even without speaking a word of Bahasa Indonesian...

Comments

Popular Posts