Finances: the financial observation on dessert startups.

I really enjoyed watching Matt Sinclair on Masterchef Australia for this year's  season. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that he didn't win, as he is starting his own little start up now in Brisbane.
I've always enjoyed the company of people who head into entrepreneurship, as it's an area I'm familiar with from my family background.

I've always been interested in startups. However just lacking the persistence and determination in going through the motions. Lol.

Recently I was at Finders Keepers market  in Melbourne. It's like a night market but indoors, selling all kinds of bespoke and cute stuff. One of the stalls was selling bacon salted caramel popcorn.
Calculating the costing for the popcorn. For a packet of 200 grams? Bacon Popcorn salted caramel, the costing would have been 0.75 cents or less, including the packaging. She was selling it for $10 a packet.

I think that was the most popular range she had for popcorn considering powdered cheese is really expensive in Australia.

I am calculating the stall would have spent the most money on a booth rental of $900 for three days, design of logo, printing of logo, and labour hours. She sold other stuff with peanuts, praline and mostly caramel products.

There was another stall selling salted caramel sauce. Yes, because I've made the caramel sauce for a cake I've made before, it stood out to me, it was selling for $10.00. The cost for making salted caramel sauce would be more expensive, factoring in the cost of cream, and the bottle.

Would I venture into a side dessert business? I really like salted caramel so it may be something related to salted caramel. But now is still time for me to experiment on which is the best workable idea.

Comments

Popular Posts