My thoughts: Franchise Business Opportunities Expo (MCEC)

Last Friday, I went to visit the Melbourne Franchise and Business Opportunities Expo in MCEC (Short for Melbourne Convention Exhibition Centre) in South Wharf.

It is located next to the DFO (Direct Factory Outlet).

I managed to get a free ticket, so that was cool.

I was actually quite surprised to see quite a huge delegation of Malaysian franchises up for grabs.. there were at least ten companies or more which were up for franchising.

As I am trained as both a childcare teacher (I did my bachelors at USQ), and completed my Cert III in Patisserie, and Commercial Cookery (of course), these two industries are the ones I am most familiar with.

Among the Malaysian franchises up for grabs I saw was Smart Reader, Cambridge for Life, Dapur Penyet, Bangi Kopitiam, Globalart, Kindeeland, etc.

With the success of Papparich as a franchise pioneering the way as a successful Malaysian franchise story, I believe that this has created the interest for other malaysian restaurants to franchise out their restaurants to Australia.

Regardless of how I feel about Papparich's menu (I have never been impressed with their menu) whether in Malaysia, or overseas, but their strategy seemed to have work for the local aussies and foreign tastebuds. (notice I didn't say Malaysians).

In terms of franchises like Smart Reader, or even franchises trying to teaching English to local Australians with a Malaysian curriculum, I am quite doubtful of its success rate. I am not being cynical, but just being practical.

Having worked in the local Australian preschools for a while now, I am quite aware of how the Australian approach to education is like. The only exception would be the Montessori approach to preschool education, which has started to grow in its popularity. But even then, it has to adhere and adapt some parts of the Montessori curriculum in order to meet local Australian accreditation requirements.

Anyone who has gone through 12 years of education in Australia would be fluent in speaking English language. The only problem with the way English is taught in Australia is that many of them speak well (even vagrants on the street), but most are not able to spell well, do not know their grammar rules, and do not know how apostrophes are used.

Most of them are not able to differentiate their, they're, there. I find that atrocious coming from an Asian country, and English being learnt as my second language. You are probably wondering whether the English language teacher in the schools were sleeping during their training? Tsk Tsk Tsk.

In summary, I have to give credit to these franchises for trying to expand their horizon beyond the shores of Malaysia.

As for me, I am not interested in acquiring an education franchise. Instead I would probably devise my own curriculum, and start my own centre as this is the industry I am most experienced with, and trained in.

I did see a couple of mobile food ventures that might be worth checking out, but not food trucks.

Till next time!

Comments

Popular Posts