Eats: Homemade Barry Callebaut Dark Choc Banana Loaf



Well, the long name of my banana loaf is actually: 
65% Barry Callebaut Dark Chocolate Chipped Sugar Crusted Top Banana Loaf (the name couldn’t fit in the title, of course) 😂

I used the recipe from Martha Stewart’s Test Kitchen recipe video with Thomas Joseph.
You can look at the original video here

It’s an American recipe so I have had to alter the measurements from cups to Australian in grams.

I haven’t changed much for this recipe apart some adjustments due to lack of ingredients at home. 

For the dry ingredients: (Measurements in approximate...)
113 grams of butter.  (1 stick of butter) 
Abt 500 grams of flour (2 cups)
1 teaspoon fine salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Approx 250 grams sugar (1 cup)

I used only raw sugar compared to caster sugar as I prefer the taste of brown and raw sugar. 

For the wet ingredients:
- 4 over ripe bananas
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- Abt 43 mls  (1/3 cups) rehydrated milk powder (as I don't have any fresh milk at home!)
-  1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-  Approx 125 grams (1/2 cup) Barry Callebaut couverture 65%  dark chocolate rounds.

Equipment: 
- hand whisk
- mixing bowl 

Right before putting the baking loaf in the oven, I scattered raw sugar on the top. This helps to create a crystalline texture. 


I was a little worried that the batter wasn’t 3/4 way, but it was just enough and rose well and baked perfectly the first time. Thank goodness! 

Initially I baked the loaf for about 60 mins at 190 celcius. When I tested it with the skewer, it came out still with wet batter. I then chucked it back into the oven for another 15 mins whilst I went to take a shower. 



After ten mins of cooking, I removed the loaf out to prevent it from steaming up. 

The loaf came out pretty good for my first trial considering I haven’t actually baked any loaves in the the last three years. *oh the horrors!*

It tasted really amazing still warm from the oven, and with melted butter with that crust skin! Yum. 

I was initially wondering whether to line the tray with baking paper or just brush the sides with melted butter. I find that I like the loaf with a little burnt and cooked skin surface. 

You can experiment with both. Leave me in the comments below and tell me which you like better?

Comments

Popular Posts