Hotel Memberships: Why I Bought One

I was just reflecting on this conversation I had with a mate R, about their finances. 

Recently I had bought an Accor hotel membership, and R thought staycations at hotel was a waste of money. R said to me why don't I consider decorating my home like a hotel so I don't have to ever go for a staycation? (ie. leave my home). 

He said he didn't have the money for frivolities like that. 

The conversation verved off into about finances, and whether he was planning to acquire property in Malaysia as he is a foreigner. 

R said he had a mortgage abroad to serve every month..  he didn't want to rent the property out as he can't find someone who is willing to pay the amount he wants. 

He added that he would not have a place to stay should he visit, which is maybe 3 of 1 weeks in a year at maximum.... 

It was a dumbfounding moment upon hearing it.

I realised he had an ego issue in managing his finances. He didn't want to be  seen as a   a pauper when he visited his home country,  so he didn't want it rented out.  
At the same time, he was dividing the monthly wages he was earning to pay off his mortgage, as well as paying his rent in KL. 

So, that's why he told me he has no money? 🤣🤣🤣 
You see where I am going with this isn't it? 

A lot of people feel that a hotel membership (doesn't matter whether it is from Accor or Marriott) are an expensive waste of money, and so are staycations. 

One of my mates, Zen was telling me staycations are expensive and is not worth spending money and time on..

However, after observing her lifestyle, I realised that she could spend a large portion of her income at expensive Japanese diners (trying to drag me to which I have no interest in) and buying expensive toy cars for her son who he never plays with and just leaves around the home.  

I surmised it as, it's not expensive, its just she didn't have any interest in staycations,  just like I didn't have any interest in Japanese diners or buying expensive toy cars, which is where most of where her income goes to. 

I view hotel membership as an investment in growing my network. Having dining discounts and discounted hotel rooms gives guests an incentive to check out a new hotel or place and see what services they have to offer. 

Considering its my 7th month back in Malaysia since my return from Melbourne, I thought it was a worthy purchase ever since reading the inspirational article about the  entrepreneur Neil Patel, who was deemed the homeless entrepreneur. 

Neil Patel has a place at the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas, not because he likes the place, but it is a tool he used in growing his network and the people he could meet. 

In my opinion, if you have the interest for something, you would put money away every month and then use it to grow whatever interest you were into. 

There will always be haters with their own ideas of how money should be spent, some less efficiently, but you do you. 


Comments

Popular Posts