G'day, Have a Go, & the Lollipop Man.

If you're wondering, in Australia those terms mean:
G'day means hello,
Have a go means take a turn,
and the Lollipop Man (is not what as the kids as school told me as one who gives lollipops away- they were pulling my leg) but is the crossing guard. :-P

I've been writing about other people but I have not actually updated you guys about what's happening in my life.

Well, apart from the TD cases and Brian, for the past one week, I have had my first practical at an Australian primary school. I will include entries of my australian pract in the other blog, but let me get my things settled so that you guys can read my experience about it there ya? I know that most of you guys are also wondering how schools here are like. Well. I will tell you. In time.

Y'know, the first time I undertook my pract at a childcare centre here last year, I practically cried for days. I had no idea what was going on, and was so totally lost. Thankfully, the liasion at university was understanding enough and allocated a few days more for me in order to get acquainted with the centre I went to.

I've already been here for one year, and due to my personality (i am not exactly outgoing or sociable all the time, although my bro thinks otherwise!), I have had a lot of hiccups during my practs. I vowed that for this upcoming pract, nothing was going to stand in my way of doing well. I will die to self and do anything just to pass the pract.

Yes, as Napoleon Hill says, Service Before Self!!!

I still have no idea why I opted to do the pract (when I could get an exemption on it) but I opted to do it instead. It came to be a blessing in disguise, as it has really helped me understand some (or at least a little bit more) of what goes on in an Australian primary school.

How can you expect us not to feel lost when it's our first pract in a primary school setting (in Australia anyways) and we have not heard of half of the curriculum documents which we are supposed to know (or at least the uni should have informed us of it before this?).

I am really thankful that my current liason has been corresponding back and forth with us (there is another international student doing his pract at the school) and helping us adjust to the school.

I mean, it is difficult enough for the the other student (who is a local herself) who is in a worst condition, cause she was assigned to a Year 3 class who is so different developmentally after dealing with babies and pre-schoolers, and to have this "big learning curve" experience just doing this pract. What more for international students!

Anyways, what of the biggest things (or problem) i have now is learning the Australian diction!

Eh? Let's just say that the phonics that I am used to, does not seem to work in the Australian context. I have been using half UK and half American phonics (and probably Malaysian English phonics, whatever that is) back in KL, that to have a totally Australian based phonics program just really blows me away. PLUS there are just so many Australian slangs which I am trying to catch up with the rest of the class..... :-P

I am just going to pretend that I am going on stage for the next one week and pretend that I am on an Australian stage. The school is the Australian stage that I must conquer and hopefully when the week is done (and all my blimey assignments are completed) I can go back to speaking my malaysian english.

Can ar?

Comments

Popular Posts