What they don't tell you at Baking School!

Baking cakes, cookies and pastries seem to be a popular choice of past time for many people. No thanks to the many celebrity chef shows they have on tv like Iron Chef, My Kitchen Rules, and etc. 

However what seems to be a popular notion is however very far from reality. At least that is what I discovered. 

In the last eight weeks, I've spent almost 21 hours in the kitchen each week. These hours were spent standing on our feet for 7 hours each time just learning how to wield a knife, using the different kitchen equipment, as well as cleaning equipment.

What the textbooks or teachers don't tell you at the begining of the course is a lot of students start to have health issues, most relating to back problems and stiff neck quarter way through the course. 

I learnt this the hard way! 

For me, I started having back pain on my waist and stuff neck around the end of the full time three week marker point. 

Fortunately for me, I recently bought a private insurance from Medibank. 

The benefits include a specific yearly credit allowance for physiotherapy, chiropractic services, dental, dietitian, optical, as well as remedial therapies. 

My health insurance cost me roughly 80+aud on a monthly basis. It seems pretty affordable to me, although I might downgrade the plan once I complete my baking course, as I won't have as much need for some of the services then. 

Unfortunately this scheme doesn't exist in Malaysia for whatever reason. 

I've been going to see the physio, as well as some remedial massages which has helped greatly with my back pain!

Today I had to take a day off work as I was advised by the doctor to stay home to rest due to a weakened immune system. 

I attend Tafe for three days a week, and work at childcare for two days a week. Both, highly exhausting choice of activities, coupled with a lack of sleep has left me with a very weakened immune system. 

The thing about working in childcare is that if one has a low bodily immune system, are susceptible to catching an infection from one of the kids. 

I decided to stay home from work to catch up on very much needed rest so that I can be healthy and bouncing again for class on Thursday. 

See you guys soon!!

Comments

Popular Posts