Nokia E63: Trying to set-up Mobile as Modem with Optus.

So today, I decided to head down to Centro Roselands, which is the mall near to where I'm currently living.

The mall, like any other typical Australian mall,
- closes at 5.30 on most workdays,
- 4pm on weekends,
- and at 9pm on Thursdays. >.<

Anyways, I decided to get an Optus Sim Pack, or just the u-sim in this case, for AUD2.The number will last two months (under the Bigger & Better call plan) without having to be recharged. Isn't that just great?? ^^

I was actually thinking of getting a AUD29 phone, but since I already have the phone, I was thinking, really, what's the point?

I found out that now, Optus Prepaid is already set-up for international roaming. Unlike Three Prepaid, there is no AutoRoam, which really, is a shame.

I had to port my number over as I have a spare phone which somehow rejected my Three u-sim for whatever strange reasons those were, and I really needed to have a 'working' number which I could have access to when I was away. So, two reasons for porting to Optus.

Anyways, for the past one week, i've been trying to setup my Nokia E63 (from Optus) as a modem... but to no avail.The place I'm currently staying at is reliant on my landlady's/housemate USB modem dongle. Luckily.

The rates for USB Modem Dongle these days are exorbitant, but strangely, prices for internet rates on mobile phones have dropped in the last three months, to which I was rather surprised as well!

I've tried using my mobile as a modem before in the past (like two years ago), but strangely, it didn't work this time.

Well actually, it managed to connect to the internet, but the connection was just really really slow..!

Perhaps Optus (and every other telco network) is really pushing its customers to sign up for the USB Modem Dongle instead of utilizing this facility which comes with every smartphone.

Sheesh.

Comments

Popular Posts