Day 6: Chinese New Year

Yesterday when I went to my mom's kindy, the traffic was getting immensely congested. So much for easy driving.... it took me almost 30 minutes, when it took me less than 10 just on Monday!

The deejays on 98.8FM said that yesterday was the sixth day of Chinese New Year which was a good day to return to work, .. not sure what it meant, but 0208 which was yesterday, was definitely a good date in Cantonese. It means "easy to prosper".

Today is 人日, or People's Day/Human Day, which means it's people's birthday today.Everyone I knew on Facebook was sending greetings.....  So, Happy Birthday Everyone!
Hence restaurants would be having a field day today, predominantly being fully booked as its a good day to have Loh Sang (Yee Sang) and long noodles. Long noodles signify "a long life" in the chinese belief....

Probably that's why my cousin bought some fish head noodles for my grandmother when I went to visit them today!

Most of the chinese managed shops that I went to visit in the city today were still close today. My mom remarked that they may only open on Saturday, which would be the tenth day of Chinese New Year. The reason for this is tomorrow will be an important day for the Hokkiens, as that is their "official" Hokkien New Year.

Today I saw a car carrying sugar cane in their car, and remarked to myself that that must be a hokkien chinese driving the car.  Here is a blog I found that explains a bit about the Hokkien New Year and its origins.

Hence, if you see a Chinese person carrying sugarcane on the 7th or 8th day of the Chinese New Year, he's most definitely a Hokkien...

The Ninth day of Chinese New Year is the "Tian Gong" Day, or the day when the buddhist chinese would offer offerings to the Jade Emperor...

Hence, when all those days are over, would only the Hokkiens (which make up a huge part of the Chinese group) in Malaysia...

Comments

Popular Posts